The Family

The Family
Me and my boys!

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

No more Ragu!

Good Morning World!
I've been thinking about what the first recipe should be, considering that I am of Italian decent it only makes sense that spaghetti sauce should be it. Here's a little background on spaghetti sauce, first of all Italian Americans call it "Gravy", second there are two basic kinds of gravy, "Cooked" and "Fresh". The quickest make it during the week kind of gravy is "Fresh". It was a tradition in my house growing up to have a big pot of Cooked Gravy every Sunday. I can remember waking up to the smell of garlic, meatballs and sausage cooking...Ahhh by 5pm the gravy had simmered to perfection and we would all gather around the table for dinner. I still smile when I think of those times! As my story intimates, "Fresh" gravy is not simmered long and "Cooked" is, it's that simple. Today I will tell you how to make a "Fresh" gravy.

"Fresh" Gravy

Makes 4 servings
Cooking time approximately 30 minutes

1 lb of pasta (I prefer linguine or fettuccine)
3 Tbs Virgin Olive Oil
3-4 cloves garlic thinly sliced
1/2 small onion diced
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 large can (29 oz) diced tomato
1 small can (14.5) tomato sauce
1 cup each loose packed fresh basil & oregano (1 Tbs of each dried can be used but it is not as good)
Salt & Pepper to taste
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (lots)

It's important when you are cooking to do things in the correct order so that everything is done at the same time. For this dish you need to start by putting the pot of water on to cook the pasta. The key to cooking pasta is lots of water and lots of salt. I like to use Kosher salt in all of my cooking but whatever you have is fine. The other key is not over cooking the pasta. It is done when it is firm but soft, that is called "Al dente". After bringing the water to a boil, add the pasta stirring imediatatley, adding a few drops of olive oil do not cover the pot. Once the water starts to boil again lower heat to medium high until it is boiling gently. Stirring pasta every few minutes is key.

Fill a large pot 3/4 full of hot water add approximately 1 Tbs salt, cover and put on the stove on high heat.
Using a large frying pan on medium high heat add olive oil, once oil begins to slightly sizzle add the diced onion. Cook until onion begins to become translucent (approximately 5 minutes) then add garlic. Cook and stir until both begin to brown lightly. Now add the wine to the sizzling onion and garlic cooking and stirring until most of the liquid evaporates. Lower heat to medium and add diced tomato, tomato sauce, basil and oregano. Simmer stirring occasionally, add salt and pepper to taste.
When pasta is al dente, drain well and add to the gravy in frying pan tossing well. Serve with Parmesan cheese and a salad. Viola you have a great dinner!
Here are a few extras you can add to the gravy during the end of cooking for added flavor. You can add one, two or all these items depending on your tastes.

Chopped Pitted Calamata Olives
Anchovies
Capers
Sauteed Coarsely Chopped Green or Red Bell Peppers
Sliced Cooked Italian Sausage

I hope if anyone is actually reading this that you enjoy, for me...it is a way to express myself, sharing a little of what I have learned along my journey!

3 comments:

  1. mmm...sounds yummy! As a total kitchen-phobic person, I will post a few questions if no one calls me an idiot. (Darryl is the cook but Pam is the blogger.) Can you use a garlic press instead of thin slices? Do you put any Parmesan in the gravy or just on top? Can you drink some of the wine also? Do you have any samples? Why are you posting at 4 am?!? Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aunt Arlita! I made the fresh gravy tonight and it was a huge hit. Thanks for sharing the recipes...I refuse to ever use another gravy recipe after using this one. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mouth is watering. Great recipes.

    ReplyDelete